With rustic charm back in style, there are more and more farmhouse kitchen wall decor ideas to help you bring a modern farmhouse style into your home.
A balanced mix of textures and materials can evoke the sense of nostalgia for simpler times that we look for in a farmhouse-style kitchen.
10 Best Farmhouse Style Wall Decor Ideas
A rustic room brings together a range of different elements; minimalism isn't a factor in a farmhouse kitchen. For a traditional look, combine wall art, wooden features, natural materials, and metal wall signs for a true rustic farmhouse feel.
Once it’s complete, a rustic farmhouse kitchen is a perfect space for entertaining, enjoying the many benefits of cooking as a family, and making memories with loved ones. Let these farmhouse wall decor ideas inspire you to embrace this nostalgic and comforting style in your home.
1. Decorative Clock
Farmhouse wall decor embraces timeless aesthetics and everyday objects with decorative details, and clocks are a great example of this. For a classic wall clock, look for:
- An oversized wooden or metal farmhouse clock to place as the focal point of a wall
- A white, wooden clock to brighten up a space with dark tones, especially brick walls or dark hardwood surfaces
- A distressed metal clock for a shabby chic look that brings texture and contrast
- Clocks made of reclaimed wood—these are striking and bring a kind of antique glamor
2. Wall Signs
Wall signs can go anywhere in your kitchen and offer a cool, retro touch. Some signs that bring a sense of farmhouse simplicity could be:
- A farmer's market sign
- An antique metal bakery sign
- Wholesome quotes about family or Bible verses about doing your best
3. Farmhouse Wooden Wine Rack
Wooden wine racks can come in different shapes and sizes for large and more limited spaces. Wine bottles can double as decorative objects and can be displayed in various ways:
- A wooden wine rack attached to the wall with the bottles displayed at an angle makes a beautiful and eye-catching decoration with a warm and inviting feel.
- A wine rack made from reclaimed wood or even a repurposed crate brings a clear farmhouse feel to your kitchen.
- Take advantage of an alcove to install wooden shelving for displaying your bottles.
4. Decorate with Hanging Copper Pots
Hanging copper pots come in many different shapes and sizes. They look modern and chic while maintaining a farmhouse feel. Copper pots can be hung:
- From the ceiling from iron or copper hooks
- From the bottom of a wooden shelf to create a rustic display
Old or worn copper pots can also be upcycled and used as planting pots for flowers or house plants. Once you get started, there’s no end to the creative uses that you’ll think of for heirloom and antique farmhouse items!
5. Wooden Display Cabinet
What could be more typical of a farmhouse kitchen than a wooden display cabinet containing antiques, trinkets, decorative plates, and family heirlooms that you’ve collected throughout the years? A wooden cabinet can be an antique or an imitation as a more budget-friendly alternative.
6. Decorative Plates
Decorative plates are classic decor that can still work in a modern farmhouse style. Plates aren't just for the table. Highly decorative plates deserve to be displayed in a place where they won't get dropped or damaged.
Ideas for Displaying Decorative Plates
- Group plates together to create a work of art. Plates can be placed in a triangle, circle, or square shape to give the appearance of a single work of art.
- Line them up in a row on a high shelf. If you have high ceilings, take advantage of all the space you have to display plates above the eye line.
- Use plates as a way to decorate the dining area in an open-plan kitchen. Marking the cooking and dining areas in your kitchen with plates is a nice way to delineate the zones and create a range of different vibes in your home.
7. Reclaimed Wood Shelf
Wooden shelves are essential in a rustic farmhouse kitchen, and the shelf itself can become a focal point if using reclaimed or grainy wood. If you have access to reclaimed wood, this option brings a more authentic feel. However, any textured or rustic-looking wood can work just as well.
8. Vintage Artwork
Antique or replica works of art in a gold or wooden frame bring an authentic feel to your farmhouse kitchen. For a more traditional feel, go for agricultural or pastoral scenes, prints of flowers, mushrooms, or trees. For a more modern feel, try statement prints featuring farm animals in unconventional colors and shapes.
9. Elevate Rustic Pieces into Art
Odds and ends that you have lying around can easily be turned into a kitchen display.
- Use antique or imitation deer antlers to create a decorative wreath.
- Use terracotta or glazed pots as lamps or vases.
- Mindfully display books, candlesticks, stones, and vintage bookends on wooden shelves to create an interesting display.
10. Create a Rustic Gallery Wall
A rustic gallery wall is your chance to hang everything and anything to create a display full of different patterns and colors. A rustic gallery wall shouldn't be overly ordered or neat; in fact, the ideal is to hang a range of different items to maximize the interest of the display.
Items to include in a rustic gallery wall:
- Framed art
- Wall signs
- Antique farm accessories like wheels and tools
- Mounted deer head (antique or imitation)
What About Wallpaper? Classic Farmhouse Wallpaper Ideas
A modern farmhouse style is all about layering different textures, materials, and patterns. This starts with a classic wallpaper.
Create the Illusion of Texture with wallpaper
Traditional farmhouses combine a mix of wood, stone, and textiles to create a space full of personality. Recreating that in a modern space isn't easy, but wallpaper can create the illusion of texture on plain walls. Stone, brick, and farmhouse shiplap wallpaper patterns give the illusion of stone, brick, and wooden walls without splashing out on costly renovations.
Plaid is one of the most typical but beautiful rustic wall decor ideas that you can incorporate into a modern farmhouse style. Plaid is a pattern that can be used in many places in the kitchen; in the curtains or blinds, tableware, or, for a more dramatic look, in the wallpaper. If you go with plaid wallpaper, consider using it to create a stunning feature wall in your farmhouse kitchen or to delineate the dining room in a kitchen-diner open-plan space.
Things to Take Into Account When Choosing Wallpaper for Your Kitchen Wall
Wallpaper can be used to great effect in the kitchen. However, it’s important to keep a couple of things in mind.
Choose a Wallpaper Made of the Right Material
Kitchens can get dirty and wet. If you want wallpaper around food preparation areas, be sure to choose a wallpaper that is waterproof and fully wipeable. Vinyl, Novamura, and washable wallpapers are the most suitable choices for papers near the stove or sink.
Fun and Innovative Ways to Use Wallpaper in the Kitchen
Wallpaper doesn't just have to be reserved for the main four walls of your farmhouse-style kitchen. Try papering the back of shelves or inside the pantry for a chic but rustic vibe.
Farmhouse Kitchen Wall Decor Ideas: An Ongoing Project Filled with Memories
With so many ideas to adorn your rustic farmhouse kitchen walls, it's hard to know where to begin! You may already have some decor or antique items lying around upon which to base your design, or you might begin by combing through antique stores and visiting local garage sales.
Wherever you start with your decor ideas, the great thing about a farmhouse look is that it can be created little by little, allowing you to fill your kitchen walls with items that bring you joy and remind you of happy times. Soon, you’ll have a kitchen filled with items that have special stories behind them that you can enjoy telling to your family and friends.